"As aforementioned, system administrative configuration options could
include allowing verified users to choose whether to display their real
names or to display their usernames."

I think you might be missing the point, we don't even want to collect that
data in the first place, let alone allow non-marginalized users to display
their real name (thereby identifying the marginalized users who opted out).

It is clear that using your real name has real-world harm (
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/09/facebooks-real-name-policy-can-cause-real-world-harm-lgbtq-community)
and there is a coalition to stop Facebook from enforcing this policy (
https://act.eff.org/action/dear-facebook-authentic-names-are-authentically-dangerous-for-your-users
).

In fact, Wikipedia itself recommends against using your real name (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Username_policy). I truly regret
using my real name in my personal user account (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Davidwbarratt), just from my
contributions (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Davidwbarratt) you can
very easily figure out the region where I live. Next, put my last name into
a public record search for my region (
http://www.ocpafl.org/searches/ParcelSearch.aspx) and you will have my
physical address and a nice picture of where I live.

Thankfully I am not in a marganziled group, but I hope you see how easy
that would be. Even if the identity is not displayed, if it's stored in our
database, there is a potential for that data to be exposed.

I will probably take a moment at some point to change my username to a
pseudonym (when I come up with a good one), but username changes are
public, so it would be pretty easy to search for my new username and find
the record of the name change.

The pew study you referenced (
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/) does not suggest
that users were anonymized only that a plurality of the victims of
harassment "said a stranger was responsible for their most recent
incident." Also, correlation does not imply causation (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation).

There are many things we could do to mitigate harassment on Wikipedia, but
a real name or account verification is not one of them. As an experiment, I
would recommend finding, and attempting to go through, all of the steps
required to report harassment. It's depressingly difficult. Another thing
we can do is implement granular blocks (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T190350) to block accounts from specific
pages, categories, or namespaces rather than a whole site block.

There are probably many more ideas that can be implemented, but again, I
don't know of any evidence that a real name or account verification policy
actually works, but there's a growing consensus that the policy causes more
harm than good.