Hi Jan,

On 04/03/2024 16:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 04.03.2024 17:31, Julien Grall wrote:
On 04/03/2024 16:10, Andrew Cooper wrote:
It is daft to require all architectures to provide empty implementations of
this functionality.

Oleksii recenlty sent a similar patch [1]. This was pushed back because
from naming, it sounds like the helpers ought to be non-empty on every
architecture.

It would be best if asm-generic provides a safe version of the helpers.
So my preference is to not have this patch. This can of course change if
I see an explanation why it is empty on Arm (I believe it should contain
csdb) and other arch would want the same.

Except that there's no new asm-generic/ header here (as opposed to how
Oleksii had it). Imo avoiding the need for empty stubs is okay this way,
when introducing an asm-generic/ header would not have been. Of course
if Arm wants to put something there rather sooner than later, then
perhaps the functions better wouldn't be removed from there, just to then
be put back pretty soon.

I am confused. I agree the patch is slightly different, but I thought the fundamental problem was the block_speculation() implementation may not be safe everywhere. And it was best to let each architecture decide how they want to implement (vs Xen decide for us the default).

Reading the original thread, I thought you had agreed with that statement. Did I misinterpret?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall