On 04.03.2024 17:46, Julien Grall wrote:
> On 04/03/2024 16:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>>
>>> Oleksii recenlty sent a similar patch [1]. This was pushed back because
>>> from naming, it sounds like the helpers ought to be non-empty on every
>>> architecture.
>>>
>>> It would be best if asm-generic provides a safe version of the helpers.
>>> So my preference is to not have this patch. This can of course change if
>>> I see an explanation why it is empty on Arm (I believe it should contain
>>> csdb) and other arch would want the same.
>>
>> Except that there's no new asm-generic/ header here (as opposed to how
>> Oleksii had it). Imo avoiding the need for empty stubs is okay this way,
>> when introducing an asm-generic/ header would not have been. Of course
>> if Arm wants to put something there rather sooner than later, then
>> perhaps the functions better wouldn't be removed from there, just to then
>> be put back pretty soon.
>
> I am confused. I agree the patch is slightly different, but I thought
> the fundamental problem was the block_speculation() implementation may
> not be safe everywhere. And it was best to let each architecture decide
> how they want to implement (vs Xen decide for us the default).
>
> Reading the original thread, I thought you had agreed with that
> statement. Did I misinterpret?
Yes and no. Whatever is put in asm-generic/ ought to be correct and safe
by default, imo. The same doesn't apply to fallbacks put in place in
headers in xen/: If an arch doesn't provide its own implementation, it
indicates that the default (fallback) is good enough. Still I can easily
see that other views are possible here ...

Jan