Il giorno gio, 10/06/2010 alle 14.28 -0700, Phil Race ha scritto:
> I've root-caused this although its still not clear what's the ideal answer,
> the simplest and safest may be Mario's proposed fix here from 5/5/2010 :

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the long explanation, everything makes perfect sense to me
now.

> Mario's concern about hinting isn't founded. It doesn't matter.

I thought about that, but I didn't have so much experience with fonts to
be so sure. This makes perfectly sense to me as well now.

> So I think (bit of hand waving)
> 1) Implement Mario's fix which will solve negative leading

Yeah! :)

I'm not at home now, I'll be back on Monday evening, I will make sure
the fix fits in the latest j2d code drop, then we can go through the
committing process again. Of course if there's a rush somebody else can
commit on my behalf.

I believe this specific part should also go to OpenJDK 6, what are your
thoughts about that (NetBeans looks really awful)?

> 2) Separately consider the larger change to
>    a) tighten up the height we reportywith the consequence that its common
> that
>    getAscent()+getDescent()+getLeading() > getHeight()
>    b) Fix up everywhere in the JDK that assumes otherwise ..
>   (a) and (b) ought to be as much as possible in the same commit
>    which means its a bigger job but still with follow-up inevitably needed.

I'll go through some of those myself in the next days. Of course, I
can't help on Sun/Oracle customers specific problems, but I can surely
help on the OpenJDK ones. Perhaps this is a bit too much risk for jdk 6
anyway, but it can be surely done for 7.

Cheers and thanks again for looking into it!
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards: