With a girlfriend in the Motion picture (ok so it's TV)industry I'm privy to
some wierd info. For the most part very few movies are actually filmed on
location.  Detroit Rock City was filmed in Buffalo for Fuck's sake.  The
amount of shit that a production crew has to go through is pretty ridiculous
as there are so many thing that they have to have and have accounted for.
Nearly all of the equipment (ie. Steady Cam operators, Post Production, etc.
etc.) is in LA as well as experienced people to handle all aspects of
production and logistical issues.  Smaller films can film on location but
it's still a pain in the ass.  Movies like the Bridge, Dertoit Rock City ,
and Bird on a Wire Contain stock footage of the city but it's somewhat
irrational for a film company to actually shoot there.  It's not so much an
issue of authenticity but logistics.  Remeber in Bird on a Wire Mel Gibson
and Goldie Hawn took a Ferry from the D to Racine Wisconsin in 2 hours (I
think the Ontarians should be pissed about that).  And besides why does
location of where it was filmed matter if there are indoor shots.
As a side note the reason that Detroit has produced such great art over the
years (IMO) is that there ain't shit to do but focus on your art.  They film
shit in San Francisco and LA all the time (I've seen my old apartment in
Flashback).  But this is a place where artist come to die it's beautiful
here but is there anything being produced musically worth a shit no.  Any
great art no.  An artist friend of mine who went to CCC in the D but lives
her now calls it the place where artist's come to die.  If you want to see
tha D go home and visit your folks.  Be proud of what's been produced in tha
D-even if it is some dorky white kid from Romeo that happens to be the most
famous at the moment.
Desperation is the only cause of greatness
Hans

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:02:26 -0500, Phonopsia wrote:

>  Roger & Me is filmed in Flint and Detroit. But a documentary...
>
>  The new John Frankenheimer film, "Reindeer Games" is set in the upper
>  peninsula of Michigan. Don't know where it was filmed...
>
>  There was a gangsta/mafia flick with Nicholas Cage and Michael Rappaport
>  (Dick Richey) that came out two or three years ago - really sucked. This
was
>  set in Detroit.
>
>  Was "The Equalizer" set in New York or Detroit? I can't remember.
Probably
>  wasn't filmed there at any rate.
>
>  Can't forget the Beverly Hills Cop series... Not sure if these were
filmed
>  in Detroit.
>
>  An addendum: almost everything is filmed off site. "Northern Exposure"
was
>  shot in Washington, not Alaska, most of the X-Files were filmed in
>  Vancouver. Most American movies and television are filmed in Hollywood,
>  except for establishing shots. This doesn't include Scorcese and Woody
Allen
>  (and a few others).
>
>  One thing I've noticed: Detroit seems to be a lot less prominent in the
>  American national media in the 90s than it was in the 80s. Probably
because
>  decline is more newsworthy than reconstruction??? Don't really know
enough
>  about it to say, and I don't pay enough attention to the news anyway, so
>  this may be completely off base.
>
>  Regardless, filmmakers always seem to have a distinct purpose in mind
when
>  shooting/setting a film in Detroit. There is a distinct mood associated
with
>  Detroit in the American consciousness.
>
>  My filmic $.02
>
>  Tristan
>  ==========================================
>  PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102/index.htm
>  "FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger
>
>  New mix, "Propper Techno" and new Album, "Québécois", online now.

actually
>  >filmed on location here ? I doubt it. I know the story takes place here
>  >though.
>  >
>  >I'd bet that the insurance companies that cover film shoots are scared
>  >shitless to come here and do films. Even cats like Sam Raimi ("A Simple
>  >Plan") who's from here, never come back to shoot films.
>  >
>  >Also, they tear shit down like nothing in this city. "The Temptations"
TV