In a message dated 6/15/00 5:26:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 Don't forget Panic in Detroit on Buzz. Lots of stuff on Buzz. >>

Speaking of summing up, here are the eight
most recognized very out of print "classic" Detroit comps.
They are available on vinyl as well. Comments below each.

Techno: The New Dance Sound of Detroit
2CD, Ten/Virgin (UK)

Rhythim Is Rhythim: It Is What It Is
Blake Baxter: Forever and a Day
Eddie “Flashin’” Fowlkes: Time to Express
K.B. Experience: Electronic Dance
Members of the House: Share This House
A Tongue & D Groove: Feel Surreal
Spark: Mia Hesterley
Juan: Techno Music
Area 10: Love Take Me Over
Reel By Real: Aftermath
KGB: Stark
MK: Mirror Mirror
Octave One: I Believe
Infiniti: Techno Por Favor
Psyche: Elements
Vice: Ritual

A bit out dated at this point: about half the stuff seems to
have lost its flavor and the other half are available on lots
of retrospectives. I didn't really go for Techno 2 very much,
perhaps because I've never been a fan of "I Believe" so I only
really liked the Psyche track (the MK, Infiniti and Vice) are alright.
The first comp has tons of stuff that's appeared on the Atkins,
May, and Saunderson retrospectives. Anyone else think "Big Fun"
doesn't sound quite the same these days?

Embrace the Future
CD, Buzz (Belgium)

Destiny: Kaleidascope
Random Noise Generation: Falling in Dub
Vice: Mindmelt
Never on Sunday: Memories of You
The Disciples of Jovan Blade: Take Me Away
Roots and Culture: Kuzalunga
Octave One featuring Lisa Newberry: I Believe
Eddie "Flashin'" Fowlkes: Liquid Disaster

Never went for any of these guys productions.

Panic In Detroit
CD, Buzz (Belgium)

Open House featuring John Beltran: Rainforest
Prototype: The Path
Serenna X: Yennek
M500: Dimensions
Eddie “Flashin’” Fowlkes: O.C.C.
Lucky Charm: Double X-Posure
Inertia: Satisfaction
Eddie “Flashin’” Fowlkes: Pure Afro Sound

Good comp: John Beltran is the man. The rest of the
tracks are alright but this is not an essential comp.

Relics
CD, Buzz (Belgium)

Long Ago: A Relic
Interval I
Rhythim Is Rhythim: Beyond the Dance Remix
Interval II
BFC: Evolution
Interval III
Long Long Ago: Another Relic
Interval IV
Model 500: Info World
Psyche: Crackdown Remix
Interval V
Mayday: MS 6
Interval VI
Rhythim Is Rhythim: The Dance
Interval VII
Suburban Knight: The Art of Stalking
Interval VIII
Longer Than Long Ago: A Relic

Easily the best of the Buzz comps: I think most any Detroit
producer other than Underground Resistance or the Martian
(which might be Mad Mike again) has done nothing even approaching
what Derrick May recorded (most of it over a decade old at this point).

Equinox, the Beginning: Nite and Da
CD, Buzz (Belgium)

Urban Tribe: Covert Action
Carl Craig with Sarah Gregory: As Time Goes By (Sitting Under a Tree)
Never on Sunday: The Journey
Carl Craig: No More Words
Carl Craig: Suspiria
Sarah Gregory: As Time Goes By (Sitting Under a Tree)
Open House featuring Placid Angels: Aquatic

Again a phenomenal track by John Beltran, but this track
appears on "Earth & Nightfall". I'd say the other Carl Craig
stuff sounds like very old, early experiments, none of the
punch of say "My Machines" or the realization of "Landcruising".
Another decent record that isn't essential: what's really strange
about this CD is they could've probably fit the four Retroactive
12"s (minus the Sarah Gregory 12") onto one disc and yet they
only put about a half hour of tracks on (and the best track from
Retroactive, UR's, does not appear).

Virtual Sex
CD, Buzz (Belgium)

Bango: Mystical Adventures
Neuropolitique: Bananagate
Stefan Robbers: Foreign Dimensions
As One: Shambala
Rhythim Is Rhythim: Icon
Redcell: In Version
Carl Craig: At Les
Lark: Tedra

Very good comp for the May, Craig and Redcell tracks.
The other tracks are all good but I don't think in the same
league as those three legendary producers. Both the May
and Craig tracks reappear elsewhere making this comp not
really worth the $50+ you can expect to pay for it.

Bio Rhythm
CD, Network (UK)

Rhythmatic: Take Me Back
Nexus 21: Self-Hypnosis
Symbols and Instruments: Mood (Optimystic Mix)
MK: Somebody New
Kate B: Free
C & M Connection: Bio Rhythms
Rhythim Is Rhythim: Emanon
Neal Howard: Indulge
Critical Rhythm: Fall Into a Trance
Paris Grey: Don’t Lead Me (2001 Mix)

Good, but too much UK stuff: the only UK producers from
the pre-Warp era I really still like are Rhythmatic who make
awesome, punchy reduced techno and to some extent MK.
A Rhythmatic retrospective CD would be cool but I can only
think of about five tracks by them so maybe not enough material.

Bio Rhythm 2
CD, Network (UK)

Rhythmatic: Frequency (Depth Mix)
Fade 2 Black: The Calling
Energize: Report to the Dance Floor (Electro Mix)
Heychild: Heychild’s Theme
Rhythim Is Rhythim: Drama
Psyche: From Beyond
Model 500: Info World
Nexus 21: Together
Xon: Dissonance
Constant Ritual: Hard Ways to Come
Suburban Knight: The Worlds
C & M Connection: Flutes

Much better than the first Bio Rhythm. Tons of
Detroit and some very good tracks from Nexus 21, Rhythmatic,
etc. I'd deem this one essential, most of the tracks are
probably the best things their producers ever did (a lot of these
producers were fairly obscure though).

RetroTechno: Detroit Definitive Emotions Electric
CD, Network (UK)

Model 500: No UFO’s
Reese: Just Another Chance
Mayday: Freestyle
Rhythim Is Rhythim: The Dance
R-Tyme: R-Theme
Cybotron: Clear
Reese: Rock to the Beat
Blake Baxter: When We Used to Play (Unreleased Mix)
Separate Minds: First Bass
Kevin Saunderson: The Groove That Won’t Stop
Rhythim Is Rhythim: Strings of Life (Unreleased Mix)

Obviously the track listing indicates how good this is. I'd
say this holds up much better than the Techno 2CD for
an overview of the Belleville Three. The Cyboton and X-Ray
are very dated, the Baxter and Minds tracks aren't my thing,
the Saunderson and Atkins tracks are on their retrospectives.
Even as a good comp though I still wouldn't call this essential:
if you have "Innovator", "Faces and Phases" and "Classics" you
have the best stuff with almost no filler from the three originals.
I suppose if you consider this a mix CD it's not too bad.

The only discs from the eight above I'd call essential are "Bio
Rhythm 2" and probably "Relics". The rest are good but as
I grow less and less interested in anything but the very best
techno I lose interest in even above average material.

Matt