As a longtime fan of nearly every genre of electronic music (well, maybe not
gabber or happy hardcore, but still...), I have to say that downtempo has
definitely warmed my ears the last few years.
Some people confuse trip-hop with downtempo, and frankly, a lot of
descriptions depend on who you talk to and where you're living, but I
usually think of downtempo as being a bit more abstract, sometimes vocals
but if so, sampled and/or looped vocals (not always, however).
When I think of a downtempo label, the first one that comes to mind is Ninja
Tune. I find that a lot of downtempo stuff has hip-hop elements melded with
jazzy stuff, but I also think downtempo has as much to do with a certain
type of groove and lifestyle -- namely, smoking pot/ganja/kind buds (et all)
and downtempo DEFINITELY plays a big role and enhances the musical vibe.
That said, I don't think it's necessary that you smoke the ganj to enjoy
downtempo, but the two do go hand in hand.
I like stuff from Fila Brazillia (they have yet to release a bad album),
Kruder & Dorfmeister (which includes offshoots such as Tosca and Peace
Orchestra) Thievery Corporation, pretty much anything on Ninja Tune
(Mixmaster Morris/Irresistible Force, Amon Tobin, Jazzanova, Up Bustle &
Out, Funki Porcini, DJ Food etc.). I think David Holmes' stuff borders on
downtempo and it's not that jazzy. Nightmares On Wax is another good one (he
even has an album titled "Smoker's Delight" from '95).
And then we haven't even begun to approach the similarities between
downtempo and IDM or experimental stuff (aphex twin, autechre,
squarepusher), stuff i got into before downtempo reared its friendly head.
And you know, you can never go wrong with The Orb, chillmaster supreme.
Boards Of Canada are like downtempo and IDM combined and pretty much rule,
as well.

I'm sure there's stuff that I'm forgetting. And besides recloose, theorem
and some of the others you mentioned, I'm sure there's more out there even
in 313 land.
btw, whatever happened to "raves" or  "parties" that included "Chill-Out
Rooms?" Used to be there was always a "cool-down" room, but not so much
anymore, which i think is too bad.
that be all
timmmiP
(with a new email address and everything.....)