From: c myster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Old recording techniques...
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:37:29 -0500

What  impresses me is the attention to Detail.
Derrick would would actually Splice peices of tape and
insert it backwards to give it that backspin sound.  If you've worked
with
Linear analog tape or even fixing old eaten cassette tapes, you can
respect the
amount of tedious time that went into it.

mystro

While we're on this thread, I would recommend "The History Of House" book that came out a couple years ago. I think it's a UK release through The Mix magazine, so you could probably get it from them. The interviews in there are priceless, and the Detroit ones are from the heyday (88-89). From what you learn about the technology Atkins, May, Saunderson (even Larry Heard, Li'l Louis, man! down to Kraftwerk)had to work with to come up with such timeless music, you have to wonder why there's so much garbage - along with some good stuff - now that we have *way* better tools to work with!

My 2 centavos.

JVelez