I don't think the American public has any sense of what happened
in these buildings over the last four decades.  We turned away.
And we turned away from the everyday neighborhoods of Detroit where
the people who worked there lived, and only woke up when the headlines
started screeching about "murder capital" and "Devil's Night".

No, in fact we have not woken up here in Southeastern Michigan.
We continue to turn away, as urban sprawl decimates our landscape and natural resources. Michigan is the fourth worst state in terms of sprawl in the U.S. In the past twenty years, Michigan has used undeveloped land at a rate of 77,000 acres per year, while remaining constant in terms of population. That's according to U.S. Department of Agriculture Statistics.

For those on this list that don't already know, I'm a reporter with a local newspaper in Metro Detroit, and I've been reporting on this topic quite a bit in the last 12 months. It's alarming how much of our state's open land has been turned into highways, malls, subdivisions and office buildings while there are vast acres of land, infrastructure and hundreds of buildings rotting in Detroit.

In fact it's a crime.

The social and economic factors contributing to this phenomenon are virtually unknown to the public at large, and remain unaddressed. The legislators we elect have failed us, and we have failed ourselves and our planet. We are already feeling the environmental and economic impact of this continued decision to ignore the problem.