On Thursday, June 29, 2000 11:06 PM, Lester Kenyatta Spence
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > http://bhere.com/ruins/industry/indpacpan.htm
> >
> > "Detroit's decline and fall" is a process still going on, still mostly
> > undocumented, and still essential to understanding the origin and
> > development of electronic music in Detroit.
>
> I'm feeling you....but I profoundly disagree.  Detroit has been
"declining
> and falling" since the ascension of Coleman Young...but though urban
> disinvestment is REAL and did indeed begin in Detroit.  there's this
> "Detroit went to hell since the riots" vibe that embodies a significant
> genre of literature about detroit.
>
> i don't buy it.  and by creating a work of art that is based on the
> implicit premise that detroit is empty....of people, and of dynamic
> (rather than static) beauty, i think the creator of RUINS is really
> missing out on something....

I don't know. There doesn't seem to any denying Detroit has it's ruinous
aspect, and the entire site is devoted to ruins of several places with
ruins. See also Zimbabwe, Ephesus, El Tajin, Athens and Rome.
I'm no expert on the history of Detroit and I am experiencing some
voyeuristic pangs of guilt as I look at it (it's majestic and sad at once,
but I don't *know* what it means b/c I wasn't there for it). But the site
is devoted to ruins in general. To crystalize the intent of this site as
Detroit in a state of ruin that it has never seen would amount to saying
the same thing about Athens as far as this site goes. And I don't think
that's what the author intends. I think he is focusing on instances of
decay, rather than denying the dynamism of the city.

I definitely see that devoting a site to ruin is a bit twisted at face
value though.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102