> >what happens, then take a chord, take out parts and add a variable
>
> Variables? Algorithms? This sounds more like writing C++ code then writing
> music.

I almost except that there is a strict mathematical relation between notes
that 'work' together in chords, so if chord structure is algorithmic and
hence deterministic i see no reason why other aspects of music can not be

i cant remember the exact details of the ratios involved although
i can look it up if you are interested, the guy who did a lot of the work
in this field is, i believe, christopher longuet-higgins who has been
involved in a few other computational/music areas.

merf