I have to disagree. I think URB has done a pretty admirable job of covering the trendy and the not-so-trendy, (Black, White, japanese or Drexciyan ;) ) with equal attention. Check out last year's Innovators issue. I have yet to see another "Future Music" magazine -- XLR8R included -- put out an issue like that one, where the great choice of "innovators" selected was matched by some high quality writing. If I have one - uh - issue with URB it's that they can be a tad Left-Coastcentric, and that I rarely read a negative or even highly critical review of new music.

peace,
Jorge

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Re: anyone know? - urb dont know
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:29:36 EDT

Hi all,

I USED to be a reader of URB magazine. I think they do have an interest in
Future Music Culture but it seems to be White Future Music Culture. It seems to have lots of tidbits about this and that but very white. There is a whole heritage of stuff that should be covered in -depth around this music. I think Derrick described his music as "Kraftwerk meets Funkadelic in the elevator."
Carl Craig said they wanted to make music that wouldn't be classified as
"ghetto", funny but Detroit Techno seems to be ghettoized. Like it's
something for white people or music obscurists... I don't know

It seems to me that the overall lack of American media coverage on Detroit
techno has a lot to do with racism. If Juan, Derrick or Kevin were white I
really believe them, their work, and things like the DEMF would have more
respect. I think the DEMF was a great thing and I just regret that I wasn't
there but thank God for archived webcasts.
I think the Detroit News gave it its biggest coverage to my knowledge and
even some that was suspect.

Peace,
Five