three years ago, i saw richie hawtin for the first time in a sweltering loft
space at 117 minna st.  700 ravers crammed into a low ceilinged room designed
for about 450 people, with the only ventilation provided by a single window
all the way at the back and a couple of fans at the front.  at several points
in the night it was literally raining condensed sweat from the ceiling.
that night, richie played for five hours, and forever changed the way that i
saw music.  he played _everything_ - from warped aciiieeeed to the manic
electro of j saul kane to the raw aggression of speedy j to clattering tribal
house to concept-style minimalism to soulful detroit, with all points in
between.  his mixing was smooth and adventurous, but like any good dj
he seemed to know that it wasn't so much how you played but what, and when.
no matter how hot it seemed, you were literally compelled to keep dancing.
"richie is a god," a friend muttered as we stumbled out at 7am.  and no,
i was sober thank you.

the flier for the party, appropriately called "a diet for the sick," identified
richie only with the name plastikman and the ubiquitous alien logo.  at the
time i owned the two plastikman albums available at the time, and was
fascinated by the possibilities they presented.  what sort of person would
produce such alien music, and what would they do in a live setting?  the
mystery implied the unexpected.  i'm still not sure of everything that i
heard that night.

fast forward to the year 2000 and "Decks, FX, and 909."  the mystery of
plastikman is gone, replaced with the bald visage of "richie hawtin."
despite its pretentions as "serious art," the new de909 angle is mostly a
triumph of slick marketing and 21st century multimedia capitalism - buy the
cd, buy the vinyl, go to the show, etc. etc. etc. - most of all, buy into
richie's image.  in the web business where i earn my living, we call
this "branding."

earlier this year i saw the de909 show live for the first time, and i was
impressed - the shock of the new has its power.  but i remember remarking
afterwards that i couldn't recall a single track that richie had played,
save nitzer ebb.  last night at the plus8 classics show in sf, i was
much less impressed.

john acquaviva did an admirable job of warming up, though some of the music
he played earlier in the night was pretty darn cheesy (its john a. though,
and somehow he can get away with records other people can't).  he ended up
providing the highlight of the entire night for me - his last record was
red planet's "stardancer."  hearing that at top volume on 1015's sound
system was _almost_ worth the fifteen dollar admission price.

richie stepped up to the decks at 2 am and proceeded to simply wallop the
crowd for two hours straight (and presumably a third, though me and my numbed
friends had left by then).  technically, richie is a joy to watch.  his dj
technique is unparalleled - almost every record is manipulated beyond
recognition through fx and elaborate mixing tricks.  just watching his fingers
move about the mixer and fx unit is entertaining.  but the musical end result
of all this fuss and bother leaves a lot to be desired.  in many ways, i
think that richie is a victim of his own sucess - having developed such a
purebred sound to accompany his aggressive marketing and packaging techniques,
he finds himself unable to experiment or push himself beyond the image of
"harder than hard" that he has created.  he has sold his soul to pure
technique, but pure technique is ultimately numbing.  without rough edges,
without surprise, without hints of contradiction and feminine energies to
leaven the unrelenting attack, there really isn't much to care about.
all tension and no release makes jack a dull boy.  and in a way, this is
an inevitable result of catering to a very mainstream crowd - they want
exactly what they expected when they bought into the "richie hawtin"
package.  as a friend put it, "when richie plays anything besides total
pounding nazi music they just don't care."  i found it interesting to see
a whole lot of acquaintences of mine from three years ago at the plus8 show.
but not the folks that i saw richie with the first time - these were the
kids that would complain and put on an aphrodite tape or a happy hardcore
record when i would try to get them to listen to some jeff mills or kenny
larkin.  there they were, up front and center and jumping up and down to
the pounding beat.  "richie is a god," they told me with extremely dilated
pupils shining.  hmmm.

-eli