Most of the time he seems to be working from the same
crate, if you will, and maybe has a few new records
thrown in. I can't really get tired of it though. He
does it so damn well.

Now, I'm probably bating more flame, but I like to
plan my sets within reason, and I've been spining
vinyl for over six years. I think I posted about this
a long time ago, and the reaction was not too good,
especially from a Detroit audience. My problem is
this: I am not a professional DJ. I have limited time,
particularly when I'm focusing on making music, so
when I practice before I spin out, I like to try and
get an idea of the set I'm going to play. Sometimes
I'll try to work out two distinct house and techno
sets, and sort of merge them together when I play live
in a new way, using a lot of the same songs. It gives
me a way to practice mixing the songs I'm going to
play without becoming too repetitive for me as a DJ,
and the end result still allows me to have some
flexibility to respond to the crowd, my whim or time
sudden time constraints.

I *would* shoot from the hip all the time if I had
that luxury. But I've got lots of records, I like to
play different records every time I spin (it's a rare
song that I play out more than three or four times),
and when I don't have a lot of time to practice I
"forget" records, and it shows through in my mixing. I
think any good DJ will tell you that you need to know
your records. Practicing in this way is how I get
re-acclimated to the records I hope to play, and helps
me sound that much better. I don't think that's such a
bad thing, even if it might kill *some* of the
spontanaeity towards the beginning of my sets. And
even if I've heard some of the set, no one else has,
which in my mind is key.

Tristan