I don't think anyone was trying to call Ben Simms 'innovative', he's supposedly a great DJ, and produces some nice tracks (nothing special, but they get your ass shake'n, and that's usually what the DJ is supposed to do). Sometimes I think people listen too hard at the music, listen with your ears and ass, not your intellectualism - leave that for home listening. Just me 2 cents.....

MM

- music is subjective, don't make it a science. For if you do, the science will turn what we love into some specific mold, and that's exactly what 'they' want.

From: Sakari Karipuro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Ben Sims
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:21:34 +0300 (EEST)

hopefully he deejay's better than produces; i mean mixing up old '88
houseloops with bassline samples and hooks from few year old housetunes
and mixing them up with slammin bassdrum can't be described
"innovative". at least i don't think so. sampling is good, but sampling
stuff too obvious is quite annoying.

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Lawton David wrote:
> Last january BEN SIMS tore through Australia
> like a force 5 hurricane.
>
> He came as a highly recommended and relatively unknown artist and left with
> a reputation as one of the greatest DJs on the planet. Not since Luke
> Slater's first visit as an artist has an artist left such an impression on
> Australia.

/> sakke
--
work            > http://www.teraflops.com/