Klaas-Jan wrote:

> SO i do think it is possible for a track to reach the top of the charts
but they do need airplay from some radio/tv station.

then Tom wrote:

I agree, it is possible (albeit very rare), and that's what I thought would
happen with Jaguar. It's had considerable airplay on Radio 1 here - the UKs
only national FM pop station - but it seems that wasn't enough.

i wouldn't want to be accused of selling my countrymen short, but perhaps Jaguar is simply not an *obvious* enough track for mainstream UK tastes. similarly with Sandwiches. both are great tracks, both had some support from Pete Tong et al, but at the end of the day that doesn't mean either will sell to your average British 'likes a few tunes' punter. i mean, can you really see people picking up a copy of Jaguar along with Alice Deejay or Darude's latest effort?

mebbe Jaguar and Sandwiches are too raw, too funky, too real. we don't understand. does not compute. they're not, ugh, shiny enough.

something else to consider is MTV's influence on the British music industry/economy. radio obviously plays a role in raising the profile of a record, but imho heavy rotation of the video would surely make a serious difference to Jaguar's sales and thus chart position.

rob