I think it's kind of down to you to decide how you do what you do.

1. If you're comfortable with records, and want to go digital, the
vinyl controlling a laptop thing is fully mature.  The friends I know
that DJ this way seem to like Serato the best.  Traktor Scratch is a
lot fancier -- 4 decks! Effects! Auto-beatmapping! -- but I think on
the whole it's a lot fiddlier to use.

2. The M-Audio Torq Exponent thing has by far the snazziest looking
controller, but I don't know anyone who has tried it:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOXPONENT

3. The Pacemaker thinger looks really teeny, and I think most people
who are actual adults would prefer something that you control with
broader gestures. And $850 is a lot of money for something you could
accidentally drop in a glass of beer, or get nicked out of your coat
pocket while you're trying to pull a girl...

4. The solution I've arrived at is idiosyncratic to me -- I use
Ableton Live. It means that I spend a lot of time warping tracks,
which can be tedious, but believe me it lets you really learn your
tracks.  Plus there a lot more options for effects, looping tricks
etc, and with a decent midi controller, you don't spend all your time
twiddling a mouse and staring at a screen.  I can do a whole set and
only use the arrow keys to select a track, and the return key to start
it.

I use an M-Audio X-Session Pro midi controller, which seems to work
smoothly.  One thing I discovered early on is to NOT map the transport
controls, because I kept stopping tracks accidentally. I use them now
to turn effects on and off instead, which is a lot less dire than
silencing your set.

This completely removes the action of beat matching from the equation
-- if your tracks are warped properly they'll fit together perfectly.
Now it's a valid argument to say "That's not DJing!" But I never
practiced or played out often enough to get really tight with vinyl
beatmatching, and nothing screws the musical flow of a set worse than
a train-wreck.

It's up to you to use the time and energy spent beatmatching to do
something else musically useful and creative.