From: Denise Dalphond [mailto:ddalp...@umail.iu.edu]
Sent: 07 May 2009 16:05
To: kent williams
Cc: list 313
Subject: Re: (313) who is going to the festival??? Re: (313) festival roll
call? anybody making t-shirts?

Well said Kent.

I'm really excited about a lot of the afterparties.  And even though there is a
lot of silliness booked for the festival every year, there are a lot of great
musicians that I can't wait to see perform.  The fact that Al Ester and Stacey
Hale are spinning, even though they are not producers, is pretty cool.  They
have been taking care of Detroit's electronic music scene for decades.  Minx is
playing the main stage - in the afternoon - but it's the main stage!  All the
Submerge people playing, I'll be excited to see them too.  And the
electrobounce/Starski & Clutch business should be great as usual.

Obviously that promo video is not meant for "us" or for most Detroiters.
Paxahau is trying to keep this festival going, and even though they are not
putting on a "Detroit music" festival and they don't do a good job in getting
Detroit residents to attend, particularly young people, this festival is still
happening here and I think that's a good thing.  It would be so fabulous if it
really was a festival that was about Detroit music and that drew a larger local
and African American crowd.  I would love to know if the festival planners
actually have conversations about these issues when they plan the festival.  I
wonder if they debate whether or not to extend a discount or free entry to
Detroit residents.  I wonder if they really think Moby is the shit.  I wonder
if they really are big fans of Benny Benassi.

I think it's way more complicated than just "Paxahau is racist" or they are
just a bunch of guys from the suburbs who don't care about Detroit.

Denise

--
Denise Dalphond
Ph.D. Candidate

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically stated. This
email
and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this
email in
error, please notify postmas...@channel4.co.uk

Thank You.

Channel Four Television Corporation, created by statute under English law, is
at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX .

4 Ventures Limited (Company No. 04106849), incorporated in England and Wales
has its registered office at 124 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2TX.

VAT no: GB 626475817