To an old studio rat like Juan 'hotter' would mean raw signal level.
I thought it was kind of a curious comment on his part, actually,
because CD players are at the same nominal level as the output of a
phono preamp.

I wonder if he just likes that high frequency distortion that's
unavoidable with vinyl, due to the RIAA curve and the physics of
cutting vinyl.

Without getting into a whole vinyl vs digital debate -- AGAIN -- I'll
be diplomatic and just say that a preference for the sound of vinyl is
a very subjective one.  I love my records, but I grew up with LPs, and
I just can't romanticize clicks, pops, surface noise, channel
crosstalk, dust, off center spindle holes, warping, and bad pressings.

Though I will say this -- you cut a record 12 minutes to a side it
sure sounds a lot better than a record cut 20 minutes to a side.  We
sure suffered in the 60s and 70s through a lot of crap vinyl mastering
and terrible pressings.