I don't think there would be anything wrong at all if people moved to
Detroit to do art, or urban farming or whatever.  Places where people
can live cheaply and have room to work are essential for the creation
of new art.

I don't think 'ruin porn' is very useful if that's all it is.  But if
you spend any time in Detroit, the ruination is pretty inescapable. To
me it feels less like ruins and more like fallow land, as though all
it's waiting for is the right spark.

Beyond both these ideas -- Detroit as lurid icon of urban decay, and
as unrealized potential -- there's something that the rest of the
world tends to ignore, which is that Detroit has real people living
there across the whole spectrum of human experience -- the desparate,
the scary, the hopeful, the evil and the good.  And somehow every
'good' thing that comes to Detroit doesn't really reach down to help
the poorest of the poor.