Yea don't get me wrong, I'm all about people coming into communities
and trying to make a difference, provided they are actually trying to
contribute.

As far as the squat scene, I have no idea. I've see it a bit here and
there in Chicago (artist kids illegally living in storefronts). I do
know that regular people end up doing most of the leg work in the U.S.
for this kind of thing before officials catch on or are convinced to
help.  Occasionally developers will give rental discounts to people in
the arts when they are trying to build up 'artist neighborhoods' to
drive up business, and eventually housing prices. It's a mixture of
things happening organically, and then business/political interests
becoming involved in order to profit.  Neighborhood 'cycles' are a
fascinating subject, though, and unfortunately what is considered
blighted or bad more often than not is just replaced with white and
expensive.  Gentrification is happening pretty fast in many U.S.
cities, with things headed more towards a Paris-style model of the
wealthy living inside the city and the poor pushed to the outlaying
city suburbs.  It's happening -extremely- fast in D.C., and many
Chicago neighborhoods are becoming barely recognizable from 5-10 years
ago.  Very OT but it's an exciting subject.

-Art