We arrived in Detroit late Friday morning and made our way to Submerge before checking into the hotel. For such a small store, it felt like there was a lot to delve into. I only made my way through half the stacks before I had to leave, but I found lots and lots of treats nonetheless. We also checked out the Detroit techno exhibit upstairs. I'm glad Cliff (I think that was his name) brought it to our attention.

I also made a trip to Ya Digg records. I was truly surprised when I pulled up to the address and saw the building it is in. I thought I'd written down the wrong information. That was completely NOT was I was expecting. The store itself was a bit hard to find, which was a good thing because I had an opportunity to see the variety of other businesses within the building. I guess that is a perfect example of adaptive reuse. I wonder how many other factories have been similarly reutilized? Gotta luv Detroit!

Ya Digg itself is a small store and still needs to settle into the space. It apparently opened just recently. I didn't have enough energy to dig through the stacks, so I limited myself to two small sections and managed to spot a number of interesting items in no time. Cha-ching.... Local heads may want to check it out, though you may want to come ready to rummage.

Friday evening I went to the film fest at Detroit Music Hall, primarily to see Metropolis. I've had Jeff Mills' soundtrack for years and I've seen the original movie, but never in conjunction. I thought his music worked for the most part, though the ambient sections seemed to work better and more often than the beat-driven sections. Seeing the film while in Detroit seemed gave a whole new relevance to the storyline...

The 'Timeless Suite for Ma Dukes' was curious. I don't know J Dilla's music at all, so I had no point of reference. The orchestrations did sound interesting. However, I noticed that at least two Erik Satie pieces were performed in their original and then orchestrated forms yet Satie wasn't mentioned, only the song titles. If I didn't know any better, I might assume those were J Dilla songs. I had to leave the theatre to put more $$$ in the parking meter, so I missed the final credits. Hopefully, Satie was given due credit. I still don't understand why Satie pieces were being performed during that concert and what connection Satie and J Dilla have. If anyone can explain, I'd appreciate it...

"The Drive Home" was fun to watch. The audience reactions were very funny.

I had to leave early, so I couldn't stay to hear Timeline perform, unfortunately.

After resting a while at the hotel, I decided to check out the Dub Science party. Never found it. I guess it would have helped if I'd been in the right part of town... :) Eventually, I gave up and went to the Black Nation party at The Works. Did Jay Denham and/or Scan7 play at all? If so, when? Granted, I got there pretty late, but by 4am I gave up and went back to the hotel.

I will say up front that Paxahau should be commended for having improved the sound quality in the underground stage. After trying different configurations, they actually found a setup that alleviated some of the aural problems that have plagued that space. Standing on the sidelines, the increased clarity was obvious but it became even more obvious once I went into the pit for the full aural experience. Deep, chest-rattling bass and sufficient representation in the mids and highs to make it somewhat easier to discern what was actually going on in the tracks.

Of all the stages, the music at the underground stage was most often in tune with what I wanted to hear at the festival so I gravitated towards it.

Patrice Scott's set was nice warm-up music. Since I'd managed to tire myself out before the festival even began, I just sat and listened. It was a good way to ease into the weekend.

I really enjoyed Nico Marks' set too. I'd never heard of him before, so it was pleasant treat. I liked what I heard so much I picked up one of his CDs (he obviously has quite a number) at Record Time and have been enjoying it. Wouldn't mind hearing more of his work.

Mark Ernestus and Scion's sets were good, but it was much too quiet. Not that I was expecting the sound system to be cranked up all the way, but it really wasn't loud enough to fill the space sufficiently. What I did hear was good but I was more interested in staying out of the sun/heat so I never lingered at the main stage for very long.

Onur Ozer's set was kinda interesting and was the only thing I heard at the Beatport stage all weekend that I could tolerate for more than a few tracks.

Martyn's set was simply excellent and was my favorite set on Saturday!! I love how easily he moves between different musical styles while making it all cohere. I danced the entire time and it made me hopeful for the rest of the festival.

After Martyn's set, Excision played some aggressive dubstep. The transition from Martyn to Excision was extreme. I like dubstep, but I'm quite tired of only hearing the super hard styles that seem to have more in common with heavy metal and hard rock than with dub or 2-step. Excision's set may have headed down some other stylistic avenues, but I didn't stay long enough to find out. Instead, I opted to go back to the hotel to rest before the night's parties.

I had very mixed luck with the after-parties on Saturday. The Back Together Again party with Orlando Voorn and Anthony Shakir didn't appear to be happening at all. I showed up at the location and they didn't know anything about it. Was the party moved to a different spot at the last minute?

The Hotwax Heaven party appeared to not be happening either. I was turned away at the door and directed around the corner, which would have been the drum-n-bass party I was also going to check out. That party apparently was shut down too, so instead I headed over to the Theo Parrish/Larry Heard party. I missed Larry's set, which I hear was quite good. The place was very crowded and hot and too dark for me to see very much. I assume the person spinning while I was there was Theo, who I'm not that fond of. The only reason I went was because I was hoping to hear some groovy house, which I did hear in the beginning until it seemed to devolve into some obscure 70s funk shtick. YAWN. The best thing about that party was the delicious "Techno Magic" beverage I bought at the front counter. That really helped me get through the rest of the night and the next afternoon.

I swung by the Detroit Techno Militia party, which was fun. I wonder why there wasn't a sign on the front door directing people to enter at the back of the building? Anyway, the music was great and I was glad to see some kick queens there camping it up. That was a very fun way to end a late night.

I was slow to get out of bed on Sunday. I knew I had a long day and night ahead of me and tried to conserve as much energy as possible. I completely missed DJ Pierre's set. I had to squeeze in more record shopping at some point, so unfortunately Pierre had to be sacrificed.

I caught the tail end of Larry Heard's set, which I enjoyed. Too bad I missed his set the night before.

Orlando Voorn's set: GOLLY!!! That was rockin'! WHEW!! I loved how energetic they were! Very infectious. The Model 500 cover was surprising too.

K Hand's set was good, clean fun as well. She seemed to really enjoy the crowd.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch much of Anthony Shakir's set. The tracks seemed interesting but the set sounded a bit unfocused. I could be wrong though, because I was very distracted at the time.

I heard part of Cassy's set. I liked her Panorama Bar mix CD and hoped that she'd bring something interesting to Beatport mnml-fest. To be honest, I found watching her demeanor more interesting that the music she played. She seemed to have a calm, masterful gaze when she looked at the audience. My more cynical side tends to believe that she could tell how little it would take to please that crowd, as long as the bass was dropped out for several bars then brought back in booming fashion...

The high point on Sunday, and my favorite DJ set of the entire festival, was DJ Rolando's set at the underground stage!!! WOW OH WOW!!!!!! Now **THAT** was the kind of music I drove 13 hours to hear!! Rolando really served it!!! Just thinking about his set makes me wiggle :)

I did sneak away a few times to check out Derrick Carter. His set was good, but Rolando had me hooked so I couldn't stay away for long.

On the other hand, Robert Hood's set was the BIGGEST disappointment for me on so many levels!! I had such high hopes, but what I heard was so uninteresting and so unlike Robert Hood that I was really shocked. I wanted to like it, but in the end I was completely underwhelmed. Bring me polyrhythms, dammit, not some simple beats, simple effects and trite atmospherics. Considering how the crowd lapped it up, I must have been in the minority. I guess the bass was booming enough to keep them satisfied. If he had performed at the Beatport stage he would have fit in perfectly. I left after a while and came back, hoping that the music would have progressed, but alas no....oh well....

On the other hand, Derrick May's set at the Movement stage was fantabulous, but that goes without saying!! I've never been given any reason to expect any less from him. It is nice to listen to someone who has mastered the art of DJing and can play a fluid set that covers a range of styles/moods/textures. I love being taken on an aural journey with some surprises along the way.

Inner City was truly FUN and I'm very glad I got to see them perform!!

After the festival, I went to the hotel to nap before going to the Metroplex party. I got to the party around 4am. Apparently, I'd already missed Buzz Goree, Robert Hood, DJ Stingray and Kevin Saunderson, which truly bummed me out because they were the ones I wanted to hear most. Juan's set was good and Derrick's set was even better than the one he played at the festival. The DJ who was playing on the first floor when I first got there played a lot of high speed ghetto tech and electro. I didn't have the mental energy to listen to anything that fast at that hour, let alone dance to it. However, the DJ who came on after him played some similar styles, but at a more reasonable pace so I stuck around for a while. Not sure who it was, but I liked what he played. If anyone could tell me who was spinning on the first floor around 5am, I'd appreciate it.

My wife and I left the Metroplex party sometime after 7am. I took her back to the hotel then left to check out some of the morning parties.

The party at Old Miami was so much fun!! I haven't been to a morning party since the Goa trance days and it reminded me how nice it is to start (or end) the day like that. Some of the attendees looked very fresh and awake, as if they were starting the day at the party, which adds a fresh energy to the proceedings, as opposed to people like me who were ending their night and running on sunlight, orange juice and pure vibe at that point. The music was tolerable enough, but when the atmosphere is that perky it can make up for lackluster DJs and an utter lack of sleep.

I also swung by the morning party at the Atlas Bldg on Gratiot, which looked like it would have been interesting. At that point I think it after 9am. I knew that if I stopped I would have to stay for a while to get a sense of the party. Sleep was more important, so instead I drove by, listened from the street then went to the hotel to get some sleep. I do wish I'd had more energy at that point or I would have lingered. The crowd looked very fun and the music I could hear from the street sounded very interesting.

As it happens every year, by Monday the lack of sleep and fatigue from running around town all day and night had majorly caught up with me. I slept as late as I could then stayed in bed just resting. I was determined to hear Mauritz von Oswald, rain or shine, but my body would not cooperate. By time I got to the festival, I'd missed their set. :((((

Since I wasn't engaged by the other acts playing at the time, I decided to go to Forans for a drink. I haven't been there in years so it was nice to be back. Too bad the DJ played such a monotonous set. Oh well. Forans itself is nice to just hang out in, so I decided to indulge and drank myself silly before heading back to the festival to hear Pullen and Minx.

DJ Minx sent me into orbit!!! I had high hopes for her set and she definitely delivered the goods. I danced more than I thought I would have been able to considering just how utterly exhausted I was at that point. Thus is the power of a good DJ set!

Every now and then I tore myself away from Minx to hear Stacey. His set was good, from the bits and pieces I heard.

Kenny Larkin's live set was inspired and deliciously groovy. It sounded particularly tight and well executed.

Model 500 was very good and invigoratingly loud. The Battlestar Galactica outfits added to the ghetto-Kraftwerk mystique, which was great. Too bad they didn't play 'Neptune'.

Half-dead or not, I was still determined to go to at least one after-party Monday night. I decided to skip the DJ Assault party at Oslo and take a chance on someone I'd never heard of before so I went to the Dwayne Jensen party on Porter St. The first DJ played some truly monotonous, amateurish-sounding techno. Dreadful! I was afraid that I'd made a bad choice on my last night in town. I was tempted to leave after 30 minutes, but decided to see wait to see what the next DJ would do.

I'm glad I did wait. Dwayne's DJ set was much more interesting techno with some housey stylings thrown in. It sorta reminded me of Mark Williams, though less driving. The tracks seemed to go on a little too long, but they still had potential. After a while, one of the guys in the club, who was decked out in a pimp suit with sensible shoes to match, grabbed the microphone and started singing!! I was pleasantly surprised to be treated to house music with live male vocals!! I made sure to grab one of the free CDs.

Had to leave after a while so I could be sufficiently conscious for the 13-hour drive home. I listened to the CD in the car and it has potential. The tracks could definitely use some tightening, but at least there's something of interest there. I'm glad I took the chance and found a new artist who'll hopefully continue improving his production skills.

OK TIME TO HATE!

The Beatport stage seemed to be nothing but minimal eurotechno every time I went over there. Not that I dislike minimal techno, but the Beatport stage seemed so musically singular that it was distressing. The area was perpetually full of people who appeared to be enjoying the music, but why couldn't that music have been moved to different stages over the course of the weekend? Scion and Mark Ernestus would have been perfect on the Beatport stage, especially considering the time of day. I'm sure Minx would have been an excellent change of pace for that area as well.

Then the Red Bull stage by the water started to feel like some spring break beach party as the days progressed. Thankfully, the music changed up quite a bit and was generally interesting, but I started to wonder about the crowd after a while. If nothing else, the crowd was energetic..

The quality of the DJs at the Movement stage seemed to be very grab bag and the music on Saturday was particularly abysmal. For how long do DJs think it OK to play the same damn beat and track structure? On Saturday, the consensus obviously was that it was OK to do so for an entire set. Over and over and over and over and over. Even when the DJs changed it was same crap. Were they all in cahoots? When the woman in stripper garb got up on the speaker to wiggle about to the music the whole affair went from lame to tawdry. I assume she was connected with the DJ somehow. Was the T&A ruse supposed to distract me from the fact that I was hearing a third-rate DJ set? Sorry, but it didn't work!!

Though I did enjoy the aural improvements to the underground stage, I couldn't help but wonder about the preponderance of black performers whose styles are very "Detroit" seemingly relegated to the Made In Detroit stage while the surfeit of mostly white minimal DJs were so strongly represented on the Movement and Beatport stages. In a way, it did feel like whiteface upstairs and blackface downstairs. Yeah, I know that not every DJ who played down there was black, and I know that popular white DJs like Hawtin and Magda have played down there, but I couldn't shake the idea of racial bias all weekend. Perhaps Tom Cox's sh1t-st1rr1ng on this issue had sunk in...

Also, the underground stage still has a lot of issues. The improved sound helps, but it is still hot and muggy down there (why no fans?); the lines to the bathrooms are too long, and the dancefloor seems like it would be a nightmare if something happened and the crowd needed to exit the area quickly. Cincinnati stampede anyone? With all those factors, I could see a lot of people still avoiding the area, just like I use to, which is unfortunate when so many quality Detroit artists are performing down there.

OK, I'm done complaining.

I had fun this weekend and got to hear some artists I hadn't known about before, which is a good thing. I've managed to have fun with enough of the performances to make the festival still worthwhile overall.

Already looking forward to going back next year!

Lastly, I have to say that it was a PLEASURE to be back in Detroit!!!! I've only been to a few cities where I am happy just being there, regardless of what I'm doing at any particular moment.

--
{}0+>|