On 23 Sep 2010, at 02:44, David Powers wrote:

> If my dad DJed like Rick Wilhite I might actually pay attention to
> what he said... ;)

Haha "Back in the day, we didn't have no flat wax, we used cylinders"

> I think Wilhite is right in many ways about the stupidity of the
> electronic music business as a whole, but hasn't that always been the
> case ever since music became a commodity?  Ask Franz Schubert or
> Charlie Parker...

There's too many contradictions in the piece, he talks about "real musicians"
in one breath and then about programming a drum machine in the next, which
kinda voids his arguement about learning a "trade" because using a drum machine
sure does bypass years of learning.

Americans seem to be much more obsessed with "authentic" and "real" - like
Bruce Springsteen is their poster boy! Techno for me is about saying fcuk off
to those rockisms. The whole history of electronic music and sound design
really interests me and when you read about how this guys struggled, you can't
help but pay respect.

And as far as I'm aware, all the equipment in the world still won't write you a
good track. And sure, Beatport's top 10 is a crock of shite but worrying about
that is like trying to influence the weather by making a cup of tea!

PS I also wonder if he's ever seen Kraftwerk live :)