That's exactly what we do. Empty drum machines and no synth sequences. Guy plays all the keys live and loops them up as he goes, he doesn't start with any patterns, and I use 3 drum machines all empty to begin with. The only thing that is any way prepared are some of the patch banks.

On that Plex session we cut off the first couple of loops of the recording where we built up those patterns