Martin, good point about "the myth of them not being able to play."

I do think the DIY aspect of punk was very positive, and that DIY
spirit continues to inspire many electronic musicians of all sorts.

However, it's interesting to note that DIY approach was actually
pioneered by jazz musicians already in the 1950's and 60's, by artists
like Sun Ra, Charles Mingus, and the members of Chicago's AACM
(Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians). It does make
me wonder if any of the original Detroit techno artists were aware of
their predecessors.

~David