One exception is certainly Detroit Threads. I know that folks like Huckaby,
Theo, Kyle Hall, BMG and Juan Atkins personally walk their new releases into
the store. These are some of the names the owner of Threads has mentioned to me
and I am sure there are many others. They usually get about $5 cash for each
12" before it is sold for a few bucks more on the floor. If you are there at
the right time you will see definitely see new Detroit records before they pop
up on places like Juno.

Then there are the records that are released by Detroit labels for the
festival. Many labels have historically timed their new releases to coincide
with the festival. You get those in Detroit first. Some of these are also
exclusive to Detroit, such as Theo's spray painted Skteches, Deepchord DEMF
editions, etc. And then on top of that you have people like KDJ who pull out a
box full of mint copies of Shades of Jae and JAN to sell at the festival. When
it comes to this time of year, I agree with Darnistle's comment that Detroit is
the best place to shop for Detroit techno (and house for me). There is a bunch
of new stuff I have been holding out on because I know it can be had there.
Cheers,John> Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:27:55 -0500