From: David Powers [mailto:cybo...@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 June 2013 15:57
To: Paul Kendrick
Cc: Rob Taylor; Wibo Lammerts; Daniel Bean; benny blanco(r); list 313
Subject: Re: (313) Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus remix

If you are a radio DJ, sure, but from the viewpoint of a serious dance DJ I
would definitely would want an edit for these reasons:

1. Most important, at minimum you need to loop up something at beginning and
end for mixing into and out of

2. Typical pop song structure is too short for the dance floor, it really makes
it's point as quickly as possible and suddenly the song is over. This doesn't
create the type of altered state of consciousness you want for dancers; to me
dancing is very spiritual and you want music/rhythms that are conducive to
attaining a real trance state, without needing drugs. I am not really a big fan
of your normal pop music formulate, it's very limiting.

3. For me personally, the chorus is a bit too epic and cheese, I'd prefer to
somehow tone it down somehow, filter and otherwise dub it out, and probably
would only let it appear once, not multiple times as in normal pop song
structure. The verse works for me, but it so clearly leads into the chorus that
it probably needs to still occur before the chorus. So, if I was editing it, I
would definitely focus on the intro bit, and the bridge with the keyboard solo;
that changes it from a pop song into a dance track...

4. The type of production is really a mismatch in a set of house and techno
records, basically in terms of the drums. Adding a bit of drum machine really
makes it work better on the dance floor. (Remember...
This is EXACTLY what the originators of house were doing with some disco
records!)

Just one man's opinion, I'm sure others disagree, but as someone who has
released edits, perhaps the above will explain what it is that drives me to do
a bunch of work to alter a song that is already a "good song"... in a nutshell,
the radio pop song form is quite different from the type of form I prefer as a
DJ. There might be exceptions when I do play a pop song if I figure out a
brilliant way to mix it in, or it's the last song in a set, or for some reason
I want to surprise people, but it's not something I would do often.

~dp