Okay, let's not be idealistic. Events of this size and scale are done for
money. The logistics and scale are too crazy to justify doing for the love
of music. If people want to do an event for the love of music, they find a
loft, scrape some money together, and fly in a couple of talented DJ's
whose music they believe in.

Personally, I have grown to dislike festivals in general, they just do not
have a vibe I can get into. I suppose it's okay to help artists get paid
well, but at the same time, I tend to lose respect for artists who ONLY
play festival size events.

As far as this particular festival, the important question is, whether the
commercial events have a positive impact on the more underground scene,
with good events springing up around the large scale event. This has been
the best aspect of DEMF in my view, to the extent that last year I didn't
enter the main festival at all, and probably had the most enjoyable DEMF
experience yet.

~David