The irony of this situation is that in the big picture, even if the RA
piece was produced in an unethical manner, it's still a decent introduction
to Drexciya for many people, and in the US nobody has ever heard of
Drexciya. Hell, I doubt many people in Detroit actually know who they are,
trust me, I lived there. People know the song Good Life for sure, and old
Cybotron records, but really people only know the first wave well.

Mad Mike has been clear in his interviews, in that what hurts him most is
that the black community in the US has not embraced techno and that the
music has not been able to play the positive role in the local Detroit
community that he hoped over the long term. I understand the fundamental
vision of UR as one of building local infrastructure so the community could
prosper. There is a strong self-help and DIY ethos. Reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5T0E6iLWhI

The approach to race that I see in UR is to be proud of it, to confront
racial issues directly, but combined with a belief in the universal power
of sound to heal and to build bridges between people.

The real reason you don't have videos coming out of the US and Detroit
about Drexciya with a narrator who is actually from the community, is that
nobody in Detroit actual gives a shit about techno in the US, and this is
nothing new, and so there's literally zero reason to freak out about it in
the year 2018. I live in Austin Tx now after leaving the midwest a year
ago. Almost nobody I have spoken with, black or white, has ever heard of
Detroit techno here. I have to try to explain to people what it is. There
is slightly more familiarity with Chicago House.

In most of the US, nobody has ever heard of "Detroit Techno" and they no
longer have any idea what the term might signify as a genre. Furthermore,
the US is a huge country. Detroit techno is simply one regional style in a
gigantic country full of little regional musical styles. Although it was
vastly important to the development of European dance music, the fact is
that the US does not support musicians, and all musicians in the US
struggle, even before you consider race. The average income for a full time
musician in the US is $20,000.

By the way, this is why it is vital for all musicians to work together to
build our own infrastructure and work together to create sustainable
solutions. As inspiring as UR is, it has not turned out to be a long term
sustainable business model. Part of the problem really does seem to be the
lack of local support of the music, because to run a sustainable local
business you don't want all your customers to live on the other side of the
planet.

The real hard work of the future is in getting our hands dirty and building
sustainable infrastructure from the ground up for the long term, that is
resilient enough to withstand the next 100 years of slow energy descent as
fossil fuels run out and we experience further instability due to the
shifting climate.

I want to offer a strong plea to all musicians and producers on this list
to work together for the long term to create this kind of sustainable
infrastructure, and actively work to build the community of musicians,
especially if you are in the US. And anyone has any great ideas, I'd love
to hear them. Nobody is going to create our future for us, if we don't
build it, there won't be a future... A lot of people are losing their minds
right now engaging in useless debates, but there is real work to be done
and there is a need for good people who have the will and vision to
continue the legacy of Detroit techno by not only making great music but
also building stronger more sustainable communities. The survival of the
human race in the future might depend on the existence of sustainable
communities that are resilient enough to survive catastrophes.

313 email list, is a good example of a NON-sustainable community--dependent
on a particular form of communication (email list), there was long ago some
sense of community vibe but social media really destroyed that. I wonder,
is an authentic community around the idea of "Detroit techno" something
that is even possible in 2018, outside of living in Detroit and
participating directly, especially given that the list no longer connects
to the actually community of Detroit DJ's and producers. What IS the best
way to connect with people around the music in 2018?

Also, anybody have advice on promoting Detroit techno event in a city like
Austin TX? How can I spread the word about techno in a place where the
focus is mostly on country and singer-songwriters, and along with a lot of
sort of indie pop and punk?

~David