Denise,

I lived in the city, I talk to my friends in the city every week, and I
played a gig there recently. I know exactly what's going on.

First of all, Red Bull, really? They literally pimp out art and artists in
order to sell shitty corporate drugs that are terrible for the human body.
I'm glad that artists get paid even if it's by Red Bull, but seriously,
screw them.

Second, it's quite obvious that we are talking about literally TWO
DIFFERENT THINGS.

You are talking about museums. I'm talking about selling records and making
money! I'm talking about this:
http://submerge.com/

Do you honestly think that black artists in the US can live off of cultural
recognition by the city of Detroit?
How many Detroit techno records are selling in the Detroit area?
UR has trouble paying the bills. Musicians need to make money.
You can't make a living as a Detroit techno artist IN DETROIT.
All the artists you mentioned got notoriety overseas before they got
hometown recognition.

Musicians need to work together to carry on the work that UR started, and
part of this work is trying to find a way to sell records in the United
States.
This is hard work, and it involves all musicians and artists including the
Detroit techno community.
What people write about the music second hand is not so important as what
musicians do to move the music forward in the present.

Motown, UR, and Chicago's AACM are all examples of the kind of ethos I
advocate.
What matters is what we musicians do to help each other and build a better
future together.
Building a better future is what techno is all about.

~David