On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Damn, Kent, why can't you just be glad that Ford is using Juan's music in a
> MAJOR commercial, and hopefully paying him accordingly ???

I'm glad he's getting paid. I can be glad for him and still be a bit disturbed
by the commercial can't I? My being disturbed comes out of my feelings for
the music; to me it's a lot more than a commercial soundtrack.

Face it, Commercials use drum & bass and techno and hip hop beats all the
time because it doesn't have words, and it's relatively cheap to license.
They'd use Elvis songs if it suited their purpose and it came cheap.
Music is just a design feature of commercials, meant only to serve the
manipulation of people to the advertiser's will.  In that context, music
is in service of capitalist mind control.  It's worth more than that to
me on it's own terms.