well said, i completely agree....

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:13:12 -0500 JL Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [313] Ford and Atkins

> In a message dated 11/13/00 12:15:35 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << I was watching fox too.  The commercial's end disturbed me a bit:
>
> DETROIT TECHNO
> FORD FOCUS (or whatever)

> Damn, Kent, why can't you just be glad that Ford is using Juan's music in
> MAJOR commercial, and hopefully paying him accordingly ???
>
> That kind of mass recognition is long past due for the Godfather of
Techno.

> And isn't it the POINT that you're gratified by knowing it's Juan's track
> underneath the commercial and the masses don't ? Would you be more happy
if
> they were using a Crystal Method or Fatboy Slim or Moby track like they do
> everything else? Dang, let the man have his due, for God's sakes.

I also saw this commercial last night and the subsequent list discussion
today.
It seems to me that Ford was saying two things...

An acknowledgement of the forward thinking and innovative aspect related to
Detroit Techno - the music

AND

Ford's own attempt to impress that they're trying to innovate with their
offerings (in particular the Focus) with their own
Detroit Techno(logy) within the automotive realm.

The music isn't doesn't have sole possession of the term Detroit
Techno(logy)
seeing as cars have been built there for the longest time..
think of it this way too.. Before the electronics and computer companies
of Silicon Valley identified that region as a "technological" center in the
US
Detroit with its automotive industry was able to say that long before
this current age....

I think they were giving props to both the music and their own
products... in some way...

I guess I think too much, and hope for the best..

P.S. - I agree with glyph's statement wholeheartedly too..

Jim [EMAIL PROTECTED]