On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 05:39:33PM -0600, Chris Ege wrote:
> I'm always surprised at how reactionary people get when the subject of
> replacing turntables with a superior (yet not so sentimental) alternative
> comes up.  You'd think someone had suggested to the pope that the earth
> isn't the center of the universe!
>
> surprisingly enough, the technics sl-1200mk2 is not the center of the
> universe either.

It's funny enough that people won't even accept superior turntables.
Supposedly forward-thinking purveyors of electronic music have stagnated
on a turntable because it's the "standard" and it's what they'll have at
the club.  Sure, it's a solid turntable, but it's certainly nowhere near
perfect.

> 3) people are aleady working on it.  I forget the url right now, but
> there's already a product that interfaces between a turntable and a
> computer, allowing you to play mp3s the same way you'd play a
> record.  This is an actual product, available now.  The reason you don't
> hear more about it already is because it's being made by a couple kids in
> belgium out of their garage, and it only runs on BeOS.  Don't be too
> surprised when some major equipment manufacturer picks it up, develops a
> version for windows, and starts mass-marketing it.  We're really not that
> far away.

There are also about 5,000 different crappy shareware programs to mix
MP3s...  (tactile12000s, PCDJ, VTT, etc)

Sure, none of these are good now but then a few years ago people thought
hardware sequencers were better than software and a few years ago people
thought that hardware effects were better than SoundForge or Reaktor.

Slowly but surely, digital technology is catching up in the mixing
arena.  Take, for example, Richie's DE9.  You can't even try to tell me
that the entire thing was mixed without the help of any software
(*cough* Acid *cough*).

Pretty soon people will start to take the ideas that a lot of
experimental artists have been using (i.e. live remixes in Reaktor) and
apply them to more mainstream stuff.

Much like the tactile advantage of production hardware was overcome by
MIDI knob and slider boxes, somebody will eventually find a way to make
CD and/or software mixing better.

I've already seen amazing DJ sets done with CDs (Karl Meier or Lesser
for example) and people seem to be getting better and better with them.

And the mixing program about which you were talking is FinalScratch,
here is a link to the press release for it (they seem to have moved away
from their previous home at www.n2it.net so this is the best link I
could find): http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/1998/FinalScratch.html

--
:: atomly ::

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atomly.com | http://www.mp3.com/atomly