What people mean by that statement is the original "techno" sound was
pioneered by Detroit dance producers like Juan Atkins in the mid to late
80's before that he was releasing electro tracks as Cybotron.
Techno! The New Dance Sound of Detroit on Ten was the groundbreaking
compilation that made the term popular.
The first techno records can be credited to Juan Atkins, like electro
techno was basically a style of dance music that originated from the
drum machine and synthesizer sounds of the 80's fusing the older
futuristic electro sounds of Cybotron with jackin chicago house rhythms.

For example I got into dance music in the late 80's as a kid and people
didn't call Ministry or Depeche Mode or bad new wave/ industrial dance
music (that was played in white clubs) like Dead or Alive or Kon Kan
techno even though some of the Euro stuff like E2E4 or Kraftwerk may
have been an influence.
The early house and techno of the eighties was primarily a Chicago,
Detroit and New York thing until it had its influence on rave culture,
it wasn't accepted by African Americans on the West coast or South.
Techno almost broke in the states in the early 90's but it was never
accepted by the masses because white kids were into grunge rock, the
rave scene was to small and black radio didn't want anything to do with
it unless it was hip hop - rnb.
It was only until they figure out away to market the sound as
electronica with the chart success of the Prodigy, they did enjoy some
minor success with cheesy formulated dance acts like Technotronic, Snap,
2 unlimited on pop radio also played in sports arenas, Pro Cuts, Fitness
clubs.

trance is pretty much formulated trendy pop music for young suburban
raver crowed who like to take ectsacy.
hope this helps clarify things,
stephen.

I still dont quite understand the statement "Techno came from Detroit"
very interesting concept..how things "come" from a place, out of the
blue
and how people like to ignore everything that took place priorly
Nothing "comes" from a place..it is originated due to the influence of
something else, music genres dont come from a place, they originate from

other music styles, I hope you are not trying to tell me that blacks
"invented" music

Fahd Al Noor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Albuquerque, NM