On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, [iso-8859-1] lo sens wrote:

> Wonder what people make of this, Christian Smith in
> our local street mag:
>
> ?People always say that Detroit was the beginning of
> everything. I think that the early so-called Detroit
> techno is more house than techno. And when you're
> talking house it's clear where that got started. Not
> Detroit, but Chicago. I have many friends in Detroit
> and regularly DJ at the Motor Lounge. Don't get me
> wrong, I respect a lot of producers from Detroit. I
> just think that Detroit has gotten too much attention
> and Chicago has almost completely been forgotten. What
> about Adonis, Farley Jackmaster Funk and Marshall
> Jefferson? You never hear their names as godfathers of
> house.?
>
> He has a point about the Chicago people not being
> given their dues, but early Detroit techno more house
> than techno? Compared to the mono Swedish stuff that
> followed maybe?

I can understand what he's saying.  As someone who grew up with both May
et al, and Adonis et al, I do think that Chicago's gotten the short end of
the stick.  It may be because the house infrastructure in Chicago (clubs,
radio, etc.) didn't...I don't know, crumble for lack of a better
word...the way it did in Detroit.  So May, and the others left detroit not
only because Europe was offering them the chance to get paid and fly, but
because Detroit was NOT offering them this chance.  And once they went to
Europe we all know what happened.

Adonis, Farley, Hurley and the others didn't HAVE to leave Chicago.

BUT....with this taken into consideration, it is unfair for Christian to
basically say that Chicago created May, Atkins, and Saunderson's sound,
JUST to give house credit.  He wants to build a movement, I'm with
him....just don't do it at the Big THree's expense.

peace
lks