From: "lo sens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2000 8:44 AM
Subject: [313] Detroit techno isn't techno?

 Wonder what people make of this, Christian Smith in
 our local street mag:

 "People always say that Detroit was the beginning of
 everything. I think that the early so-called Detroit
 techno is more house than techno. And when you're
 talking house it's clear where that got started. Not
 Detroit, but Chicago. I have many friends in Detroit
 and regularly DJ at the Motor Lounge. Don't get me
 wrong, I respect a lot of producers from Detroit. I
 just think that Detroit has gotten too much attention
 and Chicago has almost completely been forgotten. What
 about Adonis, Farley Jackmaster Funk and Marshall
 Jefferson? You never hear their names as godfathers of
 house."

 He has a point about the Chicago people not being
 given their dues, but early Detroit techno more house
 than techno? Compared to the mono Swedish stuff that
 followed maybe.

 Cheers

 sens

 =====
 "Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can
feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I
can feel it." : HAL 9000