This is an issue of continuing interest, because I tend to let tracks
play out and mix in late.  At the very beginning it was because my
mixing skills weren't so good and I just needed more time to select
the next track and get things ready.  But after a while I preferred it,
although I like the quick-in-and-out approach of other DJs quite a bit.

To some degree this issue is influenced by the content.  Vocal house
tracks tend to be fairly short and designed for a very consistent
mix-in/break/central section/break/mix-out-quick approach.  You have
to be careful because you don't want the vocals stepping on each other.
Mixing in key or at least not clashing really matters with those tracks.

Trackier house provides more flexibility, but I've noticed fairly quick
mixing continues as the dominant style for a lot of the pro DJs.  Whether
this is because they don't want to get bored with their current crate
or they don't want the floor to lose focus, or both, is sometimes hard
to say.  Also, a lot of house (well, a lot of *all* styles) is pretty
nondescript, not to say mediocre, and there isn't enough variation to
play out an entire track.

The same goes for a lot of the standard techno, particularly the "drier"
European style, but on the other hand I hear a lot of long mixing with
those tracks, and even moreso with "epic" or "progressive" house, not to
mention trance.

I know there is a lot of variation among Detroit DJs, but if I were to
characterize the Detroit style, I'd say it's quick-mixing; I'm sure this
goes back to hip hop and the influence of Jeff Mills on a generation of
radio listeners.  This reaches to the limits with techno-bass-electro-booty,
and even I play that much more limited sections of tracks in that style,
although I definitely don't have the skills of the good Detroit booty
movers :)

It's interesting to see how different DJs approach the same records.
I found this out again when K.J. put together an impromptu set out of my
record bag at the last 313 party at Detroit Science.  Gave my stuff a
whole new life!

I tend to play one particular way because of my tastes, limits as a
technical DJ, and the records I've gotten by luck or hard work (sometimes
both), but I am *motivated* by DJs with many different styles.  The
reason why house and techno persist and have longevity that other styles
don't seem to is, in part, because of the flexibility of these bodies
of music when it comes to "presentation".  I could go on about how
vinyl is an important factor in this, but I better not oughtta...

phred