From: "juliette morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] the LONG & short of dj sets
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:05:52 -0600

After reading this thread for a while now, I would like to respond to
Lester's original post..; IMO, you see records being played out longer than
before (i.e. the 80's) due to the fact that dj's just aren't quick mixing &
with the energy like they used to; doing tricks, taking chances, etc... the
records being made today do all the work for you (95% of which, IMO, are
quite 2-dimensional &/or gimmicky..).
In addition, this is still TOO much work for some people who don't want to
get off their ass- the same people who are creating ways to mix on their
computer; now they don't EVER have to leave their desk to be a dj!! (Sorry,
this is an entirely different thread...)
cTo me, I would rather hear someone using
THEIR
creativity with a bunch of deep, sick tracks (see Traxx, Dj Hell, Theo,
Carlos Souffront, etc.) to make a special moment on the dancefloor rather
than the latest remix of (insert your fave cheesy childhood pop song here)
played next to the flavor of the moment ravehouse/salsa/buildup/trance
amalgam again & again.  Going to Motor is quite the museum for this
nowadays, djs who used to beat it for 13 years now play the latest greatest
hands-in-the-air cut that the guy last week played (or the guy who opened).
So long as you can beat match nowadays & you got those 20 current tunes
that'll make the glow sticks move faster, make a tape & send it to (insert
your fave club from the D here..)!! It doesn't matter if you have style all
your own, you will only get paid 1/3 of what the big names get (even though
they just started playing this cheesy recently too (shhh.. don't tell!!)).
But I digress.