Re:
The whole thing with removing labels is something that has come from the
Jamacian sound system parties and early hip hop battles in the Bronx
with DJs like Kool Herc.

Kool Herc (Clive Campbell) himself was from Jamacia and brought this tradition of removing labels to American DJs (or selecters) when he moved to NYC.

The DJs ran sound systems and would often have to battle with other >systems to draw the biggest crowds and being able to play certain tunes >that your rivals didn't know of was an important factor.

Sometimes these battles were literally just that. If my memory of reggae history serves me right I believe it was Coxsone (one of the major soundsystem runners) who would send thugs out to the rival soundsystems to bust them up... guns, bottles, rocks, knives the real deal. He would often do this to find out what song was driving another crowd nuts. Remove the label and he can't do that. He may destroy all your equipment but he wouldn't find out that hot tune was.

MEK