ok. First let me say that just because you don't personally understand or
vibe with harder or experimental techno styles doesn't mean it's a "get rich
quick" scheme. These artists have become quite adept at manipulating dance
floor experiences, and by and large they are DJs. Nothing wrong with
understanding your own experience on the floor and learning to manipulate
that experience for your own/ others enjoyment.

Second of all, I work with this music as well as listen to it (and have
worked with acoustic music as well), and I can tell you that if I analyze
their music against any other form of electronic music, the amount of
innovation vs. preexisting structure, the amount of uniqueness in the
productions, the amount of personality expressed, is all very much equal.
There are melodies, basslines, drum structures, synth and sonic experiments,
interest in new computer editing techniques, and just all over a balls-y
group that wanted to warp their mind against speaker stacks world over. Just
cause you don't understand or vibe with this more stripped down, minimal or
experimental approach doesn't make it a get rich quick scheme.

Third, I'd imagine you probably like a lot of disco house, or what some may
call deep house (I like genuinely deep house). Ripping of a disco sample,
transposing it, filtering it, and dropping it over a dance beat, then having
someone come into the studio and play a sax solo over it is NOT innovation
and is much more of a get rich quick scheme, in my opinion (and no, it's not
all of a sudden different cause you have a big name).

Let all of this stand to say that there is a wealth of diversity in today's
electronic music scene, and many of us will vibe with different aspects of
it. Just cause you don't understand something or like it doesn't make it
"cheap". Otherwise you would be the one my friend, and I'm sure you won't
make that claim! My point in bringing up the Swedes was just that I was
personally dissapointed that they were not playing. Not that it's an
injustice that they weren't included in the DEMF. Sorry for any
misunderstandings. -

DBIT