erm...ok...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Totally 2 Step" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 8:33 PM
Subject: [313] Why I'm Not Going To DEMF (Autechre)

> Dear 313 Friends-
>
> I'm afraid I will not be at DEMF this year. As a matter of fact, I am now
officially boycotting it and will no longer support Carl Craig, planet E,
the Ford Motor Company, or any other individual or association helping
sponsor or organize the DEMF.

> The reason for my seemingly radical stance is that Autechre will be
playing. Now, until recently, I was a very big fan of theirs, however the
controversy cam ewith the release of their new album "Cornfield". Now, being
raised in the heartland of america, the "Midwest" as it were, I have a
strong afinity for cornfields and the earth below them. When I first heard
that the title for the new album would be "Cornfield" I was very excited,
"Finally" I thought, "Autechre will be focusing on the needs and unique
experiences of the farmer!" However, after several close listens, I realized
that this was not the case at all, in fact, Autechre seem to be expliting
and misappropriating "farm scene" culture and ideas to make money.

> As a matter of fact, Autechre's bastardization of the agricultural scene
is on par with Puff Daddy's exploitation of Grand Master Flash's "The
Message". Both of these scam artists took something good and significant and
recontextualized them them into heinous consumer based exchange entities.
I'm sure Sean and Rob(ber) were sitting in their studio one day, and said
"Hey, in the US they have a strong farmer community. I bet if we made an
album that appealed to them, we could make loads of cash."

> It is this mentality that has infected almost each and every great
movement: Rock'n'Roll, Disco, Hip-Hop, Rave, and Agriculture. And ultimately
caused their downfall. I refuse to see the farm scene, which I consider
myself and active member of, get corrupted and commercialized by a bunch of
Englishmen... WHO AREN'T EVEN FARMERS!! This is just unacceptable.