First of all, a big WORD UP to what Laura G. said about the corporatization
of the music.

> *Re the part about ford: Ford is trying to label or
> brand Detroit techno.They want to own this. They want
> to reach a point where 'techno=cool=fun=Ford' and one
> owes itself to the other. I owe this eye opener to
> Miss G.

Yeah, that's right. And lest we not forget, the automobile industry has used
and abused the working people of Detroit for years and years, and really
fucked a lot of folks. I'm not from Detroit, but I know a little something
about this. I think GM was probably the worst. A good starting point is the
movie "Roger and Me" by Michael Moore. That guy breaks it down.

In my view, corporate interests are looking to subsume and co-opt
so-called "subcultures" and "counter-cultures" alot these days; to exploit
them for their profit motives whilst rendering the art form into a soulless,
saccharine shell. In this regard, it seems like Ford is zeroing in on Techno
and Detroit music right now. This leaves me a little uneasy, and I think
people should heed the word of folks like Mad Mike a little more these
days. This music, to me, is about the people and should be for the
people, not some corporate agenda that involves rich white people getting
even richer. I know, I'm a little hardcore but, that's just the way I see it...
and I think people need 2 recognize.

> The only way they'll own it is if its allowed. I'm not
> saying ban the DEMF or Ford's money. But rather, use
> them as the rich aunt. Sure, throw the money around
> all you want-but it doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to
> praise you or acknowledge you in my life liner notes.

This is shaky ground though... it's been shown repeatedly that
muthaf**kas are pretty quick to sell out for that cheddah. It's more
addictive than crack cocaine.

-J

This message was sent via the Ulsternet webmail system.
http://www.ulster.net