Interesting, however from what I have read, I thought
the festival was Mr.Craig's brainchild...and now he is
ousted? Personally, I liked the idea of bringing in
acts from around the world, and not just Detroit.

This list seems too quiet....

I think everyone is formulating opinions at the moment.

Personally, I can see both sides.

On one side you have Carl Craig, an international presence in this music, and a native Detroiter, with a sense of patriotism towards his home city. He not only tries to head this festival for three years, but he also runs a pretty large independant record label, and manages it (from what I know), and also has the "responsibility" to make sure that all of the appearing artists are not only compensated, but also comfortable. We all know, that it is not "entirely" his fault that all the acts are not yet _confirmed_, because - let's face it - all of these guys are pretty busy, travelling around and during their thing.

On the other side of the fence, you've got a major attraction to the city, and a major contributor of cash, wanting to make sure that they get what has been advertised. In any mainstream event, if this were to transpire (lack of proper confirmation), the event would not go on, or would be severly hampered by the sponsors. This (i guess) is the median between sponsors having a say, and sponsors wanting their money's worth.

My personal opinion is that Carl should be fully responsible, and then after the festival, if things are not what they "should have been...." in the promoters eye, that's when a decision like this should be announced. Not now. This is an attention getting scheme from Cpop or the city, or someone. I wouldn't be suprised if Carl was able to pull everything off by May 30th, and they cancelled the termination.

Cheers!
Dennis
or should we go back to talking about essential mixes
:)

Jess