Right before I really started listening to house and techno (1987-1988) I
remember getting frustrated with "The Wizard" a lot because he, as well as
a dj on 107.5, used to play 1 particular track that I simply couldn't stand
back then. Almost every one of my remaining Wizard tapes has it on there
and I would debate with myself whether or not to stop the recorder when it
came on.

It was Derrick May's "Nude Photo".

I didn't like it back then 'cause it reminded me of the presets from my old
Casio VL1 calculator/keyboard. It sounded corny as hell, but everyone
played it to death. I tolerate it more today than back then... It still
sounds corny.

Another track (and my #2 all time favorite) that damned near every Detroit
DJ played excessively was "Pacific 0101" by 808 State.

Frankie Knuckles' "The Whistle Song" was in every crate and at every party
around 1991.

I may remember others later in the day. I'm only on my first can of Whoop
Ass.

phuture jacks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 05/31/2001 03:16:05 AM

ok i'll give it a shot
i'm not from Detroit,and i certainly was not at
the Music Institute,but i heard a few tapes
from both May&Mills's earlier years on the WJLB radio
station

May
first of all,the thing about may is that he used to
play A LOT of his own stuff,in fact 70% on the couple
of tapes i have heard,was his own!
some chicago stuff too
Phuture - pump up the bass,Lil Lois - Freq,Rosario - I
want u,ten city etc
some disco
i can only clearly remember Harry Thuman -
Underwater,but he did play
some more "diva" type disco too,i just could not
trainspot'em;)
German
Liason Dangerous -peut re pas(sp),avant apres
&(obviously) Gotching(sp)-e1e2
new wave
visage - freq7
in general i find May style to be very similer to Ron
Hardy!(good long "musical"mixing,with some crossfader
tricks in key)
i don't know that his radio apearences were consisted
of what he would play "out"
as he obviously would have wanted to "showcase" his
own stuff on radio.

Wizard

while i heard quiet a few Wizard tapes now,lets just
say that they can be very good or realy boring,all
depends on what you are after,usualy they consist of:
75% rap,hihop-electro
Mantronix,Whodini,Globe,Utfo,Imperial Bro,Wrekin
cr,Hashim,Eric b,Dynamix,RunDmc,Public Nme,Marley
marl,Beasties,Spooni g,Unkown dj,Kool moe d,Heavy d
Man Parish,Jj Fad,Bambata,TuffCrew,Egyptian lover,B
Boys,Aleem,LLCoolJ etc etc
5% funk
Paliament,Funkadelic,Prince&shila E,Hancock did i say
Clinton:)
5% disco
Kano,Kurtis Blow,Rhythm Heritage,War,Sugerhill,,
2% pop
Micheal Jackson,Salt&Peper,We Papa girls,Mel&Kim,,
5%techno
No Ufo,Future,the Sound,body to the box,(mm i don't
think i heard any May at all tho)
13% house
Chip E,Chip e,Chip e(he must have realy loved
him,usualy there would be 3-4 tracks of his in every
k7),Hurley-JYB,Pierre,BnC-house aint,Hercules - 7
ways,Rosario - Amour PuertRico,adonis - no way,Bad Boy
-Mix&Tell,Hitrax-cool J Acid
and other chicago stuff,as well as some uk(Pump Up The
Volume,Krush - House Arrest)&New York (Raze - Jack The
Groove)
now all this is mixed on a four track(you would hear 3
tracks playing,or 2 and
a third being scratched quiet often)yet it's very
raw,usualy loses momentum after a while,beat is
changing constantly, i don't think he was on the same
class with the NY guys when it comes to scratching(if
you ever heard DST,or Marley Marl tapes you'd now what
i mean), the thing that i realy wanna know is: were
was
the "industrial" side of him,i have not heard anything
 industrial on any of his tapes
yet some were around the time he made the Final Cut
stuff?