check out:

Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit 1920-1960
by Lars Bjorn with Jim Gallert
(University of Michigan Press, $24.95)

article at
http://detnews.com/2001/entertainment/0107/20/c01-250016.htm

book was just released in conjunction with a photo exhibit currently showing
at the museum of african-american history.  so it seems your curiousity
comes at a good time!

kbk

> there are two books allegedly in progress (as of 6 months ago) on the
> history of detroit jazz (which is an insane amount believe it or not)
there