From: Michael Kim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 4:08 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Save the vinyl info

>From: "jim proffit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: 313@hyperreal.org
>Subject: Re: [313] Save the vinyl info
>Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 07:10:27
>
>fabrice Lig:
>
>>>I talked several times to some people from Vinyl pressing factories and
>>>eachone told me that they are really really busy and always too much
>>>records to press.
>
>Michael Kim:
>
>>how about cutting down the number of bad releases instead?  ;)

well i was just kidding (notice the wink sign), but i'll continue this
discussion for the hell of it...  read on

>I think cutting down the number of releases would eventually be
>catastrophic
>for this music scene.
>
>Factories would have to close down their businesses when there wouldn't be
>enough work (records to make) and thus cause the pressing prices go higher
>and higher, making it useless to release this music on vinyl when at the
>end
>a record could cost you twice as much as it does now.
>
>Only the strongest pressing plants would survive, and eventually there'd be
>only 2 or 3 pressing plants IN THE WHOLE WORLD.
>Not much choice there.
>
>I think this effect is already showing the way average record price has
>been
>steadily rising in the last 15 years, and the amount of new dance releases
>per month should now be higher that ever?

i think that's mostly due to inflation.  i mean, nobody claims the reason
for higher burger prices is due to mad cow disease, right?  higher cost of
operation, higher prices to the consumer.  price of a Big Mac combo meal 15
years ago sure wasn't over $4.

i also don't think it would be that big a deal.  i'm no economics expert, so
maybe my opinion isn't as valid as yours, but there are so many horrible
records coming out and so few pressings of good ones in comparison.  why not
just make MORE copies of good records?  i don't think you'll have problems
selling reissues of classics, look how fast Cybotron - Clear went.

okay, maybe it might take a little bit of creativity out of the equation if
everybody has the same records, but i've seen horrible records sit in
shelves for years.  a pressing plant may be pressing it, but if nobody buys
it, somebody's got to pay for that.

also, look at how many Swedish imitation records come out.  they sound the
same, no new ideas, more than half of the Swedish sounding records are
garbage.  i mean, do these records really need to be released constantly?
if you miss one, you can find twenty others the next week that sound just
like it.  on a big system, it's REALLY hard to differentiate between two
tracks a lot of the time because they're so similar.

(note: i'm not trying to say all Swedish techno sounds bad, a lot of it is
quite good, but you all know the imitations i'm talking about)

i really wish record pressing plants would concentrate on making more copies
of good records, and reissuing good older records and classics that they
KNOW will sell, rather than pressing the latest record that nobody will
remember or care about two weeks after its release.  because people who are
relatively new to record buying, like me, can find the good stuff and buy
the classics up on sight.

>It's a sort of Amazon jungle this "dance" music business; you have to have
>as many species as possible in order to keep the ecological balance.

yeah, but how many other people here are sick of listening to 50 bad records
to find 1 good one?  bad not as in missed the boat, but bad as in copycat
bullsh*t records that you can't imagine anybody (with any reasonable amount
of taste) buying?

Fabrice Lig mentioned record pressing plants having way too many records to
press.  i think the constant onslaught of garbage records has something to
do with that.

Mike