While I agree with what Lauryn has said for the most part (because we have
already seen the effect of Napster on the music industry).  We must include
one more particularily special point.

MP3 Quality at less than a bit rate of 192 sounds shoddy on the extreme low
end and extreme high end.  MP3 is a compression algorithm which lops off the
signal at the extent of the human hearing range (ie 20, 000 Hz but most
codecs lop off around 16, 000), and the sub-extent of human hearing (around
20hz but again most codecs lop off around 100Hz).  When listening at home
this isn't so bad since most in home stereo systems already reduce extreme
low-high end by means of a crossover either in the speaker itself or
digitally in the amplifier.  At the club however the is no roll off, and
things like these become more apparent.

Worse is the fact that despite our inability to hear these frequencies, we
can hear the harmonics that they create with frequencies we do hear.
Moreover even without knowledge the producer of the track may have utilized
those particular harmonics.  With MP3 those will never be heard.

I've heard both MP3's and vinyl on the same system, and to be honest unless
you have a good soundcheck and all your files are recorded and EQ'ed
properly beforehand, your set will sound lackluster.

MP3's with a bitrate higher than 192 sound great, the higher the better, but
they take up more room.  As we progress into a generation where physical
memory is no longer an issue I'm sure this will become more viable.

Cheers
todd