Races of people are DEFINED and otherwise anthropologically analyzed and studied by the culture of their society(ies). That being said, our culture will be defined by the 'dance' exhibited in music videos and titty bars.

For decades, Americans have only supported ballet and classical music-- both white, European and considered 'upper crusty'. While classical music has been all but eliminated from some folks diets, like in Detroit where we now support NO classical music radio station.

Most underclass art forms-- like the black dance-- have had to market fiercely and find support from private foundations and institutions to have a presence and continue enriching the lives of the TRULY unimaginative capitalist.

Dancers are like any other artist. They simply know they must dance, or their lives are over, lackluster and pain-filled. We've survived and will continue to survive whether we are popular by your definitions or not. Much like the music and artists that this list is built around, some years may bring popularity and more revenue, most will not.

It detracts NOT from the art and certainly not from this artist.

I imagine you've never, BY YOUR OWN DESIRE, ever gone to see ANY dance company. Why should you when there are professional atheletes ? Americans have become a people very much like lemmings--ignorant of not only the present, but with eyes wide shut running after the head 'lem' straight off a cliff.

Like any act from one's higher self, dance is a joy experienced only in The Expression or The Giving. While it is meant to take something obscure, illuminate it and clarify it, it matters not a whit whether you get it or not. It will continue in spite of you.

To see movement of the caliber that I experienced watching the Ailey dancers was the highest form of appreciation that Roy Davis Jr., et. al could possibly envision. Beat for beat, musically technical elocution matched impeccably with physically technical elocution...those dancers EMBODIED Roy's music. It looked surreal, but was actually happening, on a stage in downtown Detroit.

He and I had a long conversation about just that in Miami at the WMC. He was so excited to see the piece performed after he licensed the track to the company for their use, he is already working on something else with the same choreographer.

The Alvin Ailey company is a dance company by which ALL other dance companies are graded, whether one is aware of them or not, or whether one supports them or not. Just as they will take it as far as they can, most dancers or artists of any genre will do the same--because it is who they are--not because it is popular or supported.

Buy your season tickets to whatever you feel compelled to follow or whatever YOU feel enriches your one dimensional existence.

Oddly, the darkest moments of human existence are always rapidly followed by 'the renaissances' of the arts/existence. The American government is one of the only that does not even support a national ballet company, much less a company like Ailey's.

It matters not. The human imagination exists not to garner a profit...it simply exists. Dreaming of Utopia is FREE and cannot be governed. That was one thing Hitler failed to realize when he marched into each major city and immediately seized museums, art, libraries and eliminated any expression of human existence that were subversive to his goal.

Deluded??  Who??

Art, of any type, will always stimulate change....but perhaps you LIKE the way things are now. Just a guess........