----- Original Message -----
From: "Grammenos, Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 1:38 PM
Subject: [313] Bob Brown

> Does anyone have any info on Bob Brown the "Philly Techno King" ?
>
> Here's a snip i read somewhere :
>
> "Bob Brown's production and DJing continue to guarantee him international
> recognition. As a producer, he has been compared to the likes of Christian
> Vogel and Subhead. Pushing the boundaries of the genre, Bob's production
is
> constantly innovative and sought after. He is presently realizing EPs for
> five different record labels. He is poised to make major contributions to
> the world of Techno.'

I was supposed to DJ with him at a small party just outside of DC in
January, but unfortunately my set was abruptly terminated by a pyromaniacal
raver... Anyway, before that he played for about an hour and a half for a
bunch of young kids. He played *some* nice tracks, but also threw in some
really uninspired older crap. I generally play a lot of older music too. The
emphasis is meant to be on the "uninspired" comment. He was playing some
older "rave-y" and east/west coast breaks stuff that don't do a whole lot of
anything for me. I got up off my sober ass and danced for about 1/4 of his
set when he dropped some nice techno. The one thing that struck me more than
anything else was that he seemed really confused as a DJ, and I'm not trying
to be rude or destroy his reputation. There were numerous full-on wrecks and
most of the time his sets of 8/16/32 weren't lined up. Besides that, when he
was in the mix, he did a lot of really obscure tweaking that seemed more of
a cover-up than inspiring. If you can't tell, I was pretty dissapointed. For
what it's worth, I know it wasn't the gear, b/c the two DJs on either side
of him had really nice sets on 3 turntables. I hear his production is good
though, and it may just have been an off night on the decks. In his defense,
he had to drive through a *nasty* blizzard for almost 4 hours to get to the
event, and may have been worn out and put-off by the crowd/venue, and we all
have off nights. I know others in the area that have an awful lot of respect
for him and enjoy his DJing. If he can pull in a crowd for a techno event
near DC in that kind of blizzard, there must be something to him.

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info
http://www.metatrackstudios.com