Actually, it really depends on what particular era and region of punk music you are talking about.

Punk(60's garage rock) does not have a reggae or ska influence at all. You look at anything on Nuggets, or the Stooges, Rationals and MC5 records, and blues and 50's rock in stamped all over those records. The Ramones, and New York Dolls, annd Velvet Underground dont skank. Most of the New York records do not reference reggae. Nothing that came out of Ohio(Pere Ubu, Rocket From Tombs, Electric Eels, early Devo) has that stamp on it. The West Coast does not have it either(Germs, Black Flag, early X, Fear) Real American punk in the 70's does not have a strong reggae influence. Of course nobody gives a shit about American punk because Epic Records couldnt sell it with the mug of a turncoat pub rocker like Joe "101'ers" Strummer.

Of course English Punk has a Reggae influence(particularly in London.) It is just a result of having such a large West Indian population. I mean working class affection for Blue Beat/Ska goes back to the Hard Mod/Skinhead days of the mid to late 1960. I am not going to go into a rant about the old Blue Beat tours, but I will tell you that Don Letts did not introduce reggae to the UK(despite what PBS might tell you.) Ska in the late 60's was about as common in the UK in the 60's as Master P was in Detroit in the late 90's. Not everybody was tuned into peace and love, if you were a docker's son you listened to Tamala and Ska.

mt

From: "M. Todd Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313 List" <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Is Prince the root of all Techno?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:07:39 -0400

Thanks, that was somewhat informative, but saying punk was heavily
influenced by Dub and Reggae because The Clash wrote some jams and they were
influenced by it, does not mean the entire genre was.  Unless of course you
are saying The Clash were the progenitors of punk, but that's a whole other
ball of wax.

Cheers
todd